Who doesn't love carrot cake? Well I do actually know a few people who don't, but for most (normal) people it's right up there on the list of favourite cakes. So making an incredibly healthy, quick and easy breakfast that has all the sweet, nutty, warm-spice flavours of carrot cake is just an awesome way to start the day. Not only does it kind of taste like you're eating cake for breakfast, you're also sneaking in a portion of fruit and veg from the carrot and raisins, plus all the health benefits from oats (zinc, protein, beta glucans etc), omega-3 from the walnuts, and all with a very low saturated fat and salt content. I'm a big fan of overnight oats, and had some lovely comments from everyone who tried my vegan chocolate and peanut butter overnight oats recipe so I wanted to share another version of this versatile breakfast.
Easy Vegan Carrot Cake Overnight Oats Recipe
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup nut, oat, or soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 Tbsp raisins
- 3 Tbsp crushed walnuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of mixed spice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup / agave / golden sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract *optional
Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined. Leave in the fridge overnight, give it a quick stir in the morning and enjoy... That's it!
Nutrition (per serving):
- Protein: 9.2g (Women: 18.4% / Men: 16.7%)
- Iron: 3.1mg (Women: 20.9% / Men: 35.6%)
- Calories: 393 (Women: 19.7% / Men: 15.7%)
- Sugar: 29.5g (Women: 32.8% / Men: 24.9%)
- Total Fats: 13.1g (Women: 18.7% / Men: 13.8%)
- Saturated Fat: 1.3g (Women: 6.5% / Men: 4.3%)
- Salt: 0.3g (Women: 5.0% / Men: 5.0%)
- Fibre: 7.0g (Women: 23.3% / Men: 23.3%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.