Mug cakes are ingenious - simply mix a few staple ingredients in your favourite mug, pop in the microwave for 90 seconds, and in no time at all you can be curled up on the sofa enjoying this delicious cake-for-one. No leftovers to worry about going stale. No preheating the oven. No mixing bowls or whisks to wash up. So next time you're craving something sweet but are short for time, this incredibly simple vegan chocolate mug cake is sure to hit the spot - it's rich, sweet, and VERY chocolatey. And with nearly 10g of protein it can really help towards your fitness and recovery!
Vegan Protein Chocolate Mug Cake
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp Vega essentials chocolate protein powder*
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 4 Tbsp unsweetened nut milk
- 1.5 Tbsp vegetable oil
Mix all the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, sugar, protein powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt) together in the microwavable mug using a fork. Now add the nut milk and vegetable oil and stir to combine. Pop in the microwave on high for 90 seconds until the cake has risen (OR pop in a 180C oven for 12-14 minutes). Allow to cool slightly, then enjoy straight from the mug! Get creative with the toppings - fresh fruit, grated dark chocolate, vegan cream / ice cream, chopped nuts etc all work really well.
*You can swap the protein powder for 1 Tbsp extra flour if you don't have any handy.
Nutrition (per serving):
- Protein: 9.8g (Women: 19.6% / Men: 17.8%)
- Iron: 3.5mg (Women: 23.6% / Men: 40.2%)
- Calories: 411 (Women: 20.6% / Men: 16.4%)
- Sugars: 24.5g (Women: 27.2% / Men: 20.4%)
- Total Fats: 23.9g (Women: 34.1% / Men: 25.2%)
- Saturated Fats: 2.5g (Women: 12.5% / Men: 8.3%)
- Salt: 0.5g (Women: 8.3% / Men: 8.3%)
- Fibre: 5.4g (Women: 18.0% / Men: 18.0%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.