These hot summer days provide a bit of a dilemma... I love oats in the mornings, but don't want a steaming hot bowl of porridge, as I'm already sweltering by 7am (first world problem, I know). So I've rekindled my love for overnight oats, as I get to enjoy all the tasty goodness of oats, but instead from a cold glass straight outta the fridge, condensation running down the side of the glass and everything. And the best thing is, it's even quicker than making porridge - literally chuck a handful of ingredients into a glass the night before, and you have an instant breakfast waiting for you in the morning. Oats are a great source of zinc, which is really important for energy and immune function, and this breakfast provides about half the UK recommended intake of zinc!
Vegan Chocolate & Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/2 cup oats (not instant)
- 1/2 cup almond / nut milk
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup / agave
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
Chuck all the ingredients (minus the peanut butter) into a glass and stir to thoroughly combine everything, then pop the glass in the fridge overnight or for at least 6 hours. In the morning, dollop the peanut putter on top or swirl it into the oats, and enjoy! If it's really hot, place the cold glass on forehead.
- Protein: 13.1g (Women: 26.2% / Men: 23.8%)
- Iron: 4.6mg (Women: 31.3% / Men: 52.9%)
- Calories: 391 (Women: 19.6% / Men: 15.6%)
- Sugars: 13.9g (Women: 15.4% / Men: 11.6%)
- Total Fats: 17.0g (Women: 24.3% / Men: 17.9%)
- Saturated Fat: 2.6g (Women: 13.0% / Men: 8.7%)
- Salt: 0.2g (Women: 3.3% / Men: 3.3%)
- Fibre: 12.6g (Women: 42.0% / Men: 42.0%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.