The perfect way to start the weekend - mushrooms on toast is so incredibly quick and simple but packs so much comforting flavour. When cooked like this with some garlic and tarragon, they take on an aromatic, almost meaty flavour, and the toasted white bread absorbs the woodsy juices to become a delicious treat in itself. Some rocket dressed with balsamic provides a little tang and mixes perfectly with the warm mushroom juices.
And it's a nutritional powerhouse, because with just 372 calories you're getting over a quarter of your daily iron needs, three quarters of your daily vitamin D intake, plus a good amount of protein and fibre.
Vegan Garlic and Tarragon Mushrooms on Toast
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 2 slices fresh white bread, toasted
- 1 Tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 30 fresh rocket
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
Heat the rapeseed oil in a pan. Meanwhile chop your mushrooms in half lengthways, add to the pan, and shake around in the oil. Sauté them for around 5 minutes until the juices that come out begin to evaporate and the mushrooms are turning golden. For the last few minutes, add the garlic and tarragon and continue to stir round the pan. Meanwhile, toast the bread (and spread with vegan butter if desired) and dress the rocket leaves. Season the mushrooms with salt and lots of pepper, then spoon over the toast with the juices and top with the dressed rocket leaves.
Nutrition (per serving with toast and dressed rocket):
- Protein: 11.0g (Women: 22.0% / Men: 20.0%)
- Iron: 3.8mg (Women: 25.7% / Men: 43.7%)
- Calories: 372 (Women: 18.6% / Men: 14.9%)
- Sugars: 5.7g (Women: 6.3% / Men: 4.8%)
- Total fats: 21.9g (Women: 31.3% / Men: 23.1%)
- Saturated fat: 2.6g (Women: 13.0% / Men: 8.7%)
- Salt: 0.9g (Women: 15.0% / Men: 15.0%)
- Fibre: 5.2g (Women: 17.3% / Men: 17.3%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.