Once you try these potatoes you will never look back! They are everything you want in a potato - crispy skin-on edges, a soft and fluffy centre, plus they look pretty cool so make an impressive but mega-easy side dish for a dinner party. I had these on their own simply smothered in fiery sriracha and fresh coriander, but you could easily enjoy them alongside barbecued veg, with a roast dinner covered in rich gravy, or even just to accompany a fresh salad.
Vegan Hasselback Potatoes
- 4 medium sized waxy potatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat your oven to 200C (390F). Wash the potatoes then dry thoroughly with kitchen paper. Using a sharp knife, carefully make cuts that go about two thirds of the way through the potatoes and are spaced about 1-2mm apart. Now brush with half the olive oil and pop in the oven. After about 20-25 minutes, take the potatoes out. The cuts you made will now have opened up a little, allowing you to now use the remaining oil to brush again but this time making sure some of the oil gets between the cuts. Now also sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Pop back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden and crispy.
Nutrition (per medium potato):
- Protein: 4.3g (Women: 8.6% / Men: 7.8%)
- Iron: 1.9mg (Women: 12.8% / Men: 21.8%)
- Calories: 221 (Women: 11.1% / Men: 8.8%)
- Sugar: 2.0g (Women: 2.2% / Men: 1.7%)
- Total fats: 6.9g (Women: 9.9% / Men: 7.3%)
- Saturated fat: 1.0g (Women: 5.0% / Men: 3.3%)
- Salt: 0.2g (Women: 3.3% / Men: 3.3%)
- Fibre: 3.8g (Women: 12.7% / 12.7%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.