Guess how many ingredients are required for these bad boys?... TWO!! They are so easy to make, but taste even better than the shop bought version which is pumped full of sugar. Because they're made with dark chocolate and natural peanut butter, they're much lower in saturated fat and sugar, and are a much better source of iron!
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Ingredients (makes 12 cups):
- 200g vegan dark chocolate (55-70% cocoa best)
- 9 tsp natural peanut butter
Break up the dark chocolate into a bowl and place over a small pan of simmering water. It's always best to melt chocolate slowly to prevent it splitting (remember, chocolate can melt in your pocket, so it doesn't need much heat!). Meanwhile, place 12 paper cupcake cases on a tray. When the chocolate is melted, drizzle half a tablespoon into each of the cupcake cases (using about half the chocolate). Tap them on the tray to ensure the chocolate spreads evenly into the corners of the cases. Now place the cases in the fridge for 10 minutes to set, leaving the chocolate bowl over the hot water (you can turn the hob off now though) to keep it melted. Then remove the cases from the fridge and spread 3/4 of a tsp of peanut butter on the set chocolate, as flat as possible so the remaining chocolate can cover it. Now drizzle over another half a tablespoon of melted chocolate, tap on the tray again to even it out, and pop back in the fridge for another 10 mintues until set. Remove from the fridge before serving as they taste best at room temperature.
Nutrition (per cup):
- Protein: 2.0g (Women: 4.0% / Men: 3.6%)
- Iron: 1.2mg (Women: 8.1% / Men: 13.8%)
- Calories: 120 (Women: 6.0% / Men: 4.8%)
- Sugars: 6.4g (Women: 7.1% / Men: 5.3%)
- Total fats: 8.4g (Women: 12.0% / Men: 8.8%)
- Saturated fats: 3.7g (Women: 18.5% / Men: 12.3%)
- Salt: 0.1g (Women: 1.7% / Men: 1.7%)
- Fibre: 1.6g (Women: 5.3% / Men: 5.3%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.