Been searching for a killer vegan burger recipe? Well look no further, this one is awesome! It's really tasty, doesn't fall apart in the pan (like so many vegan burger recipes!), goes nice and crispy on the outside, and it's amazingly healthy. One of these burgers gives you 14g protein and 3.5mg of iron with just over 300 calories, including the bun!
Vegan Mean, Lean, Black Bean Burgers
Ingredients (makes 6 burgers):
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 1/2 cup dried quinoa)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 cup canned black beans
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped (1-2 tsp)
- pinch of salt & pepper
First cook your quinoa as per packet instructions (use a little less water than directed to keep your burgers firm, not sloppy). Meanwhile, in a food processor, blitz up the oats a little so they turn into a rough flour. Add the red onion and pepper, and blitz until they are roughly chopped. Now add the black beans (well drained to keep mixture drier), cooked quinoa, minced garlic, paprika, rosemary, and seasoning. Blitz until the mixture is completely combined - this may require scraping down the side of the bowls a couple of times. Now form the mixture into 6 burger patties, and fry in a non-stick pan, using 1 Tbsp oil per 2 burgers, for 3-4 minutes each side, or until the edges are nice and crispy and it's hot through. Best served in a warm bun, topped with tomatoes, avocado, and sriracha sauce!
Nutrition (per 1 burger served with a wholewheat bun):
- Protein: 13.8g (Women: 27.6% / Men: 25.1%)
- Iron: 3.5mg (Women: 23.6% / Men: 40.2%)
- Calories: 317 (Women: 15.9% / Men: 12.7%)
- Sugars: 4.6g (Women: 5.4% / Men: 3.8%)
- Fats: 4.5g (Women: 6.4% / Men: 4.7%)
- Saturated fat: 1.8g (Women: 9.0% / Men: 6.0%)
- Salt: 0.8g (Women: 13.3% / Men: 13.3%)
- Fibre: 9.2g (Women: 30.7% / Men: 30.7%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.