When that mid-afternoon craving for a savoury snack hits, these crispy curry-roasted chickpeas are the perfect solution. High in protein, fibre, iron and zinc, and low saturated fat and calories, they're a healthy snack with a delicious bold curry flavour and beautifully crispy shells. They only stay crispy for a few hours though, so serve them up straight away if you want them crispy. I personally like them for the next few days after they take on a more chewy texture. Have them on their own as a savoury snack, or scattered over a salad. And you can explore with the flavours - I have seen (but yet to try) maple and sesame, smoky paprika, and salt & vinegar - try some different flavour combinations and let me know which work best!
Vegan Crispy Curry Roasted Chickpeas
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 1 x 400g can of chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 190C. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then take extra care to dry them using a couple of sheets of kitchen roll or a clean tea towel. The drier you can get them, the crispier they will get. Then toss in the oil and spices, spread out on a baking tray, and roast for up to 40 minutes, shaking the tray half way through cooking.
Nutrition (per serving):
- Protein: 2g (Women: 4.0% / Men: 3.6%)
- Iron: 0.6mg (Women: 4.1% / Men: 5.3%)
- Calories: 68 (Women: 3.4% / Men: 2.7%)
- Sugar: 1.7g (Women: 1.9% / Men: 1.4%)
- Total Fats: 2.7g (Women: 3.9% / Men: 3.0%)
- Saturated Fats: 0.4g (Women: 2.0% / Men: 1.3%)
- Salt: 0.4g (Women: 6.7% / Men: 6.7%)
- Fibre: 1.8g (Women: 6.0% / Men: 6.0%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.