This risotto is an absolute winner - the vivid colours make it a real show-stopper, and this version is baked in the oven so it doesn't require as much fuss as typical risotto.
Hearty Vegan Beetroot and White Wine Risotto
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 500g raw beetroot
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 250g arborio risotto rice
- 200ml vegan white wine
- 650ml low salt vegetable stock
- To serve: asparagus and homemade vegan parmesan
Preheat oven to 180C. Trim and peel the beetroots, cutting into large wedges. Toss with 1 Tbsp of olive oil, a good pinch of salt and pepper, space them apart on a baking tray, and bake for about 1 hour, until soft.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil over a medium heat in an ovenproof pan (which has a lid), and fry the onion, garlic, and celery for about 5 mins until soft and translucent. Then stir in the rice, covering with the oil, then add the white wine (reserving 2 Tbsps of it). Let this bubble away for 5 minutes, then add the stock.
Stir everything, then put the lid on the pan and place in oven for 15 minutes. When the beetroots are done, remove from the oven, and put 1/3 of them in a blender with the remaining white wine to make a puree. Chop the other 2/3 into small pieces, and stir with the puree into the risotto. Top with blanched asparagus and homemade vegan parmesan cheese. Since you opened a bottle of white to make this, it would be rude not to serve with a nice glass!
Nutrition per serving:
- Protein: 11.6g (Women - 23.2% / Men - 21.1%)
- Iron: 3.4mg (Women - 23.0% / Men - 30.1%)
- Calories: 505 (Women - 25.3% / Men - 20.2%)
- Sugar: 12.7g (Women - 14.1% / Men - 10.6%)
- Total Fat: 17.2g (Women - 24.6% / Men - 18.1%)
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g (Women - 13.5% / Men - 9.0%)
- Salt: 0.9g (Women - 15.0% / Men - 15.0%)
- Fibre: 7.4g (Women - 24.7% / Men - 24.7%)
See the Nutrition Info page for more details on % of Dietary Reference Values for men and women.